Judge Delays Trump’s Hush Money Sentencing Until After Election | ZeroHedge

The judge overseeing former President Donald Trump's Manhattan criminal case has postponed his sentencing for the second time. According to Reuters, the new sentencing date has been pushed to November 26, after the presidential election on November 5.

Trump's lawyers asked Judge Juan M. Merchan, who oversaw Trump's seven-week trial earlier this year, to postpone the September 18 sentencing. They argued there wouldn't be enough time for the defense to appeal Merchan's upcoming ruling on Trump's request to overturn the conviction, citing the US Supreme Court's landmark decision on presidential immunity.

Judge Juan Merchan wrote in the court filing:

In May, Trump was convicted by a unanimous jury on 34 felony counts of falsifying business records. Prosecutors said Trump signed off on the scheme to conceal reimbursements to a lawyer who wired  $130,000 "hush money" payment to Stormy Daniels ahead of the 2016 presidential election. Trump pleaded not guilty and denied the encounter. 

The charges carry a maximum sentence of four years in jail. Most legal observers expect Trump to avoid jail time, given the alternatives to incarceration, including probation. 

Trump's original sentencing was set for July 11, but it was delayed after he filed a motion to overturn his conviction, citing a landmark Supreme Court ruling on presidential immunity. 

Trump attorneys Todd Blanche and Emil Bove's request for a postponement argued it would be inappropriate to sentence the former president this month since early voting in the presidential election has already begun.

Down to the wire…  

Trump campaign spokesperson Steven Cheung told The Hill that there should be no sentencing at all in the case and that, "as mandated by the United States Supreme Court," Trump's hush money case and other legal matters should be dismissed.

Prosecutors did not oppose the delay, leaving the decision to the judge. They noted, "The People respectfully defer to the Court on the appropriate post-trial schedule." 

A Trump win in November indicates he could order the Department of Justice to drop federal election interference charges against him. However, he would not have the authority to end the case in Manhattan or an election interference case in Georgia. 

*Developing…  

Leave a Reply